About Us

1st Meeting & function of the newly founded Club Italiano Mount Merrion 1971

Club Italiano is a voluntary, non-profit organisation which organises social, cultural and recreational activities for the Italians living in Ireland. It was established in 1970 when the Consolata Fathers arrived in Dublin and opened a Mission House at Stillorgan. Father John Moloney (now Monsignor), who was Pastor to the Italian community, introduced Fr. Francesco Cellini of the Consolata Fathers to the community in St. Kevin’s Oratory, Pro-Cathedral, where the Monsignor has been celebrating Mass since 1943. With the help of Fr. Giuseppe Bonaudo, a choir was formed to sing at the Mass.  Fr. Cellini encouraged the Mass-goers to meet in the grounds of the Consolata House and play football and Boccia.

Among the Mass-goers was Gino Di Mascio who, with other Italians used to run the Irish-Italian Dress Dance, the first having been held in Clery’s Ballroom on the 6th February 1950 with “Billy Watson and his Orchestra” and the admission was 15/-.

Another Mass-goer was Donato Borza who, since 1968, was running a Football team called Lazio F.C. and who organised Five-a-Side Tournaments in the grounds of the House of the Consolata Fathers. Rodolfo Caira was among a third group which comprised of men who liked to go hunting. This group was then named the Consolata Gun Club and is still part of Club Italiano today.

H.E. Lorenzo Tozzoli, Italian Ambassador laying the first brick for Tribradden House

In 1971, a committee was formed amalgamating these three groups and Mr. Victor Cassoni became the first President of Club Italiano Dublino. In the early years, many events were held in the CIE Hall, Marlborough Street, giving the young Italians excellent opportunities to meet each other. In 1972, Italian classes for children were held in the Consolata House, subsidised by the Italian Government. These classes were later transferred to the Italian Cultural Institute.

A 13 acre site, in Tibradden at the foot of the Dublin Mountains, came on the market in 1983 and, with growing interest in Club Italiano, it was decided to purchase this land with a view to building our own Clubhouse. This was to be a focal point for all Italians in Ireland, a little piece of home on Irish soil – a haven with a spectacular view of Dublin City and the Irish Sea.

The land was purchased in 1983 and it took two years before planning permission was granted. With many generous donations from the community, and numerous fund-raising events, it was possible to open the first phase of the Clubhouse on 30th August 1987 with the Official Blessing given by Monsignor Maloney. At this time, Lazio F. C. made Tibradden its new home ground where they still play today.

Club Italiano has organised many events over the years including Annual Dress Dances, Barbeques, Opera Concerts, Exhibitions and the very successful Italian Week during the 1988 Dublin Millennium Celebrations. Many Irish friends of Italy take part in Club Italiano events and this provides an excellent opportunity for strengthening the ties and cultural bonds between the two countries. The Italian Embassy gives its continued support to all major events organised by the Club.

Playing bocce in Tribradden 1987

Club Italiano has raised much needed funds for chosen charities in Ireland and in Italy. Among the charities for which the Club has fund-raised are “The Stardust Victims Funds”, “The Guido Nasi Fund”, “The Naples Earthquake Victims Fund”, “The Jack and Jill Children’s Foundation”, “Make a Wish Ireland”.

More recently, the earthquake victims of L’Aquila will benefit from funds raised by Club Italiano, with contributions from Kart Club Italia, Fillippo Guido (Tipperary), Irlandiani.com and many, generous, sympathetic Irish friends of Italy.

There is now a major fund-raising drive to complete the necessary repairs to the Clubhouse.


A grateful “Thank you” to all the sponsors and contributors who have loyally and continuously supported Club Italiano for many years!